Moving a fridge can be a real hassle, especially if you’re worried about scratching up your floors in the process. But fear not, because I’ve got two expert tips that will help you move that fridge like a pro without leaving any scratches behind.
Tip 1: Use Furniture Sliders
Furniture sliders are your best friend when it comes to moving heavy objects like fridges. These handy little discs are designed to slide smoothly across hard surfaces, making them perfect for protecting your floors while you move your fridge…
Here’s how to use them:
- Lift one corner of the fridge off the ground just enough to slide a furniture slider underneath.
- Repeat for each corner of the fridge until you have a slider under each one.
- Once all the sliders are in place, you can easily glide the fridge across the floor without worrying about scratches or damage.
Tip 2: Clean the Floor and Fridge Bottom
Before you start moving your fridge, it’s important to make sure both the floor and the bottom of the fridge are clean.
Dirt and debris can act like sandpaper, causing scratches as you slide the fridge across the floor.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Sweep or vacuum the floor to remove any dirt or debris.
- Wipe down the bottom of the fridge to remove any dust or grime that could scratch the floor.
- Once everything is clean, you can proceed with moving the fridge using the furniture sliders.
Tip 3: Enlist Help
Moving a fridge is a two-person job, at least. Don’t try to tackle it alone if you can help it. Enlist the help of a friend or family member to make the job easier and safer.
- Safety: Fridge moving can be strenuous, and having an extra set of hands can help prevent injuries.
- Control: With two people, you can better control the movement of the fridge, reducing the risk of accidentally scratching the floor.
- Efficiency: Having someone help you means you can get the job done faster, minimizing the time your fridge spends in transit and reducing the likelihood of damage.
Tip 4: Use Cardboard or Rug
If you don’t have furniture sliders on hand, you can still protect your floors by using cardboard or a rug underneath the fridge.
While not as effective as sliders, these makeshift solutions can still provide a barrier between the fridge and the floor, reducing the risk of scratches.
Here’s how to do it:
- Place a piece of cardboard or a rug under each corner of the fridge.
- Carefully slide the fridge across the floor, using the cardboard or rug to protect the surface underneath.
- Once the fridge is in its new location, remove the cardboard or rug and inspect the floor for any signs of damage.
While not as foolproof as furniture sliders, using cardboard or a rug can still help protect your floors during a fridge move.
Tip 5: Measure Doorways and Pathways
Before you start moving your fridge, take some time to measure doorways and pathways to ensure your fridge will fit through them without any issues.
Here’s why it’s important:
- Avoid Damage: Trying to squeeze a fridge through a tight doorway can result in scratches to both the fridge and the walls.
- Save Time and Effort: Knowing in advance whether the fridge will fit can save you the hassle of having to rearrange furniture or remove doors to accommodate it.
- Plan Ahead: By measuring beforehand, you can anticipate any potential obstacles and come up with a plan for navigating them safely.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: How do I know if my fridge is too heavy to move on my own?
A: If you’re unsure whether you can safely move your fridge by yourself, it’s best to err on the side of caution and enlist the help of a friend or family member. A good rule of thumb is if you struggle to lift one corner of the fridge off the ground, it’s probably too heavy to move alone.
Q: Can I use furniture sliders on any type of flooring?
A: Furniture sliders are designed to work on a variety of hard surfaces, including hardwood, laminate, tile, and vinyl. However, they may not be as effective on carpeted floors. In such cases, you can try using cardboard or a rug to protect the carpet from scratches.
Q: Is it safe to tilt my fridge to slide furniture sliders underneath?
A: Yes, it’s generally safe to tilt your fridge slightly to slide furniture sliders underneath. However, be cautious not to tilt it too much, as this could cause damage to the fridge or make it unstable. If you’re unsure, it’s best to have someone help you lift the fridge while you place the sliders.
Q: What should I do if I notice scratches on my floor after moving the fridge?
A: If you notice scratches on your floor after moving the fridge, there are a few steps you can take to address them. First, try using a gentle cleaner and a soft cloth to buff out the scratches. If that doesn’t work, you can try using a floor repair kit or consulting a professional for advice on how to fix the damage.
Q: Can I use the same techniques to move other heavy furniture?
A: Yes, the techniques mentioned in this article can be applied to moving other heavy furniture as well. Whether you’re moving a couch, a dresser, or a bookcase, using furniture sliders, enlisting help, and protecting your floors are all important steps to ensure a smooth and scratch-free move.